Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#102495 - 01/07/2002 17:11 Can you "split" the in-dash antenna lead?
RobRoy
stranger

Anyone know if it is feasible to split the antenna lead of most automotive radio antennas? More importantly, are there ready-made adapters to accomplish such a task?

The vehicle in question is a GM product, and is fairly straightforward. It isn't an exotic with diversity tuning, etc.

I ask because I want to use the Empeg tuner in conjunction with another head unit that offers advanced capabilities (recording off the air, etc.)

Links to such a product (if it exists) are GREATLY appreciated!

Many Thanks!

Rob

#102496 - 01/07/2002 18:44 Re: Can you "split" the in-dash antenna lead? [Re: RobRoy]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Yes you can, I did it once when I was using two head units (one for cd and one for tape) I liked having both tuners hooked up because it gave me many presets this was before empeg came along. I think I still have the adapter sitting in my tool box. Anyhoo rat shack has what your looking for I can't find a link for it but its a y adapter for motorola plugs (thats the standard car ant. plug) unless its the mini one which they have adapters for them too. If I find a link I will post it.

Ben
mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#102497 - 01/07/2002 18:54 Re: Can you "split" the in-dash antenna lead? [Re: RobRoy]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
http://www.installer.com/antenna/ Looks like uv 44 will do it for you.

#102498 - 01/07/2002 20:11 Re: Can you "split" the in-dash antenna lead? [Re: RobRoy]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yup, I can vouch for the one on installer.com, I have my antenna cable split to my Kenwood head and my Empeg tuner module with no problems at all.

For future reference, a forum search for "split antenna" would have turned up this thread documenting my own experiences on this very subject. Try a search before asking, you'll be surprised how many situations have been encountered by others before.

#102499 - 02/07/2002 14:26 Re: Can you "split" the in-dash antenna lead? [Re: tonyc]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
The only problem I have had with the antanna splitters is that if you are listening to the empeg tuner and the head unit is off, the tuner signal is not terminated or something in the other head unit and affects the quality of the signal.

#102500 - 02/07/2002 16:36 Re: Can you "split" the in-dash antenna lead? [Re: muzza]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm, never have that problem because my head unit is my amplifier, so I would never run with just the Empeg and tuner.